Monday, September 9, 2013

August

It seemed like the garden really started producing in August.  Here are some carrots that had been thinned--real "baby carrots!"

We had a lot of "Ice Cream Sundays" around here this summer, and this time we got out the old fashioned crank one and let the kids have a go.  Then we discovered there was something sort of wrong with it and had quite soupy ice cream.




Marcus helping them find frogs in the pond after their hard work.

Coyote hunting as related by Lucas and Marcus on the bathroom mirror:
1: A 1st gen leaves speedily, leaving lots of smoke behind.
2: Coyote is spotted (maybe called in) and shot at.
3: Coyote runs away, leaving a cloud of dust.
4: One guy asks the other, "What happened?" with the reply of ".... I missed!"

I took this picture thinking the "Amish pie pumpkins" I planted were labelled incorrectly, and I was going to have a huge harvest of yellow crookneck squash.  A few days later they were more pumpkin shaped, so I researched, and Amish pie pumpkins actually start out yellow!

Baby learns to climb at the park=Kaia not so anxious to bring him to the park any longer.

Ahh, I love summer.  I've hardly eaten any salad since July or so, since we've had plenty of fresh veggies from the garden!  Green beans, cucumbers, and beets.

Another Ice Cream Sunday.  This is the machine I've mostly been using, and is the reason we've had so much ice cream this summer.  It's so easy to use!  The only downside is that the biggest batch it makes is 2 quarts.  So I've been sticking the first batch directly into the freezer and putting a second one going.  Works great!

Mason was intently observing.  This was probably my favorite combo--coffee and chocolate ice cream with oreos on top.

I woke up one day and discovered I didn't have work, so texted Debbie and had an impromptu park day.  I'd wanted to do it all summer so was glad we made it!  Aubrey and Kolby loved the swings!  Mason was very unsure of being up so high, but had great fun pushing his little sis.  I love this picture :)

Just in case you doubted Aubrey's feelings toward it..

When there's a fire.. the sky often looks like this.

Also so glad I got a park day with these kiddos, too!  It worked out even if I waited until the very end of summer to get it done!

Apparently other people's gardens are doing well too, particularly in the squash department.  We found this pile on a bush in front of the church.  I made muffins with a zucchini and the animals got to eat the rest--better than being thrown away!

Sober little birthday boy at his party.  He had just woke up.

What a good thing to wake up to, right?!

Bubbly, broccoli face, baby boy.

I like this picture I got of my best golden beet.  I only got 5 mostly small golden beets out of the "rainbow mix" packet.

Here's what was in the rainbow mix: normal, golden, and candy stripe.  Most of them were candy stripe.

And cut open.  Aren't they pretty?


No comments: